1st International Conference on Dog Population Management 2012
|Description:||On behalf of the organising committee we warmly invite you to attend the 1st International Conference on Dog Population Management 2012, September 4-8, 2012 .
Humane, effective and sustainable dog population management (DPM) is a challenge we will increasingly face. Dogs play an important role as companion and work animals but are also a major source of concern for zoonoses transmission and attacks on people and livestock.
The main objective of the conference is to bring the public sector together with ecologists, economists and specialists in animal welfare, animal health and education.
Specific aims are:
• To facilitate discussions and sharing of information on DPM among stakeholders;
• To promote awareness of novel technologies, such as immunocontraception, vaccine delivery systems and software for DPM;
• To encourage inter-sectoral collaboration, innovation and policy development;
• To provide evidence-based information for effective, humane DPM;
• To promote animal and human health and wellbeing by reducing the incidence of zoonoses and the environmental impacts associated with dog population control.
The main outcomes of the conference will be:
• coordinated and interdisciplinary approach to DPM;
• increased awareness of novel technologies for countries and research groups;
• dissemination of the results of research and practical applications between scientists, stakeholders and policy makers;
• enhanced prospects of decreasing the economic burden of zoonoses through the use of evidence-based methodologies;
• demonstration of the benefits of the One Health approach to animal, human and environmental welfare.
We anticipate and hope this will be the first meeting of a series to be held in different countries every 2-3 years.
The conference is co-organised by the following institutions:
• Fera - Food and Environment Research Agency
• WHO - World Health Organisation
• OiE - World Organisation for Animal Health
• RSPCA - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
• WSPA - World Society for the Protection of Animals
• IFAW - International Fund for Animal Welfare
• HSI - Humane Society International
From Tuesday 4 September 2012 - 08:00 AM (UTC -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima
To Saturday 8 September 2012 - 5:00 PM (UTC -05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima
|Where:||York, United Kingdom|