HabriCentral will be intermittently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance the afternoon of Wednesday, July 8, 2020. There will be some downtime of site features during the maintenance period. Please plan accordingly and we do apologize for any inconvenience. close

You are here: Home / Forum / General Discussion / General Discussion / #341 - Doctoral Student Seeking Participants - Dissertation Study on Animal Assisted Therapy in Counseling

Forum

Doctoral Student Seeking Participants - Dissertation Study on Animal Assisted Therapy in Counseling

1. Leslie Stewart

Dear Colleagues,

I am Leslie Stewart, a doctoral candidate in Georgia State University’s Counselor Education and Practice Program. I would like to invite you to participate in my dissertation study. The purpose of the study is to investigate the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required of competent practitioners of Animal Assisted Therapy in Counseling (AAT-C). We are seeking experts in the area of AAT-C to participate. For the purposes of this investigation, an expert in AAT-C is defined as the following:

1) Licensed as a professional counselor, psychologist, or clinical social worker, with a minimum of 3 years of post-degree experience in clinical practice;

2) History of registration with a recognized therapy animal organization, with a minimum of 1 year of experience as an AAT-C practitioner;

And at least one (1) of the following:

A) Currently practicing counseling with a registered therapy animal;

B) History of offering AAT-C specific consultation services or clinical supervision;

C) Evidence of leadership in the area of AAT-C (e.g., professional presentations or publications on AAT-C, leadership positions within AAT organizations);

D) Instructed (or designed curriculum for) formal AAT coursework for counseling students.

Participation will require no more than 2 hours of your time. If you decide to participate, you will complete a demographic form about yourself, your education/training, clinical practice, and other relevant experience. You will also be asked to complete a structured electronic questionnaire. If interested in participating, please email me directly at lstewart5@student.gsu.edu.

You may access the survey by clicking this link: https://gsu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_b9R7JVA5vdL4QjX

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to the opportunity to work with you in the future!

Please feel free to forward this recruitment information to any other professionals that may be interested.

Sincerely,

Leslie Stewart, M.Ed., LPC, NCC
    Doctoral Candidate
    Counselor Education and Practice
    Georgia State University
    Department of Counseling and Psychological Services

2. Christopher C Charles

This sounds like a very interesting project. Do participants need to be located in the United States? If not, will comparable licensure of other countries suffice?

3. Leslie Stewart

Hi Christopher,That is a great question. Our team would love to have international participant voices represented in our data. Comparable licenses in other countries will certainly suffice.

4. Anne-Elizabeth Straub

Would you like your request distributed beyond this venue?

Would it be useful if we told others we know, reported it to groups or on lists to which we belong, perhaps with a link back here or to your contact information?

I would be happy to share this on my group’s listserv and / or Facebook page. I manage both of those for SWAHAB (Social Workers Advancing the Human Animal Bond). We have a number of people with the credentials you are seeking in our membership.

5. Leslie Stewart

Dear Anne-Elizabeth,Thank you, that would be very helpful! You are welcome to copy/paste the announcement from here (the link is active and will work), or providing a link back to this posting would be fine as well. Please let me know if you require any additional information or have further questions.

All the best,

Leslie

Add Post

User photo

You must be logged in to comment.

Please keep comments polite and on topic. Offensive posts may be removed.